• How To Install XAMPP 1.7.7 for Windows 7, Vista, and XP

by  • October 30, 2011 • Getting Started, XAMPP • 11 Comments

XAMPP LogoIn this tutorial, I demonstrate how to install XAMPP 1.7.7 (Apache 2.2.21, PHP 5.3.8, MySQL 5.5.16, OpenSSL 1.0.0e, phpMyAdmin 3.4.5, XAMPP Control Panel 2.5, Webalizer 2.23-04, Mercury Mail Transport System v4.72, FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.39) for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.
    I also go through the steps of how to initially setup the XAMPP security settings and how to get started using your new XAMPP server setup.

Prerequisites

You need to first download the VirtualBox package from http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html.
    You will also need to have a computer running Windows 7, Vista, or XP.  You can use VirtualBox, a free virtual machine software, to run it on a blank install of Windows.

** UPDATE – 12/17/2012 **

Check out the updated tutorial, How to Install XAMPP 1.8 On Windows 8

Video Tutorial

About

I'm a freelance PHP developer spending much of my time deep in WordPress theme and plugin development. My personal info can be found at http://amereservant.com .

11 Responses to How To Install XAMPP 1.7.7 for Windows 7, Vista, and XP

1. Monica
      August 8, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Hello, can you help me please? I have an own server with xampp and I need to send and receive emails from my server, but I can not make it work. please I know maybe you don’t have time to help me, but I asking you for this favor, because some years ago your tutorials helped me a lot with my projects. Thanks in advance for your help. Good luck, and God bless you.

• October 23, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Hi Monica, I’m very sorry for the greatly delayed response. I didn’t see your comment sooner. Please let me know if you still need assistance. Thank you.

• Monica
          November 12, 2015 at 1:01 PM

Hi again, I solved the problem of the email a few months ago, but thanks for answering. I was watching your youtube video channel and I can’t see your videos, and get a message from youtube : “This video contains content from networknerd007. It is not available in your country.” what’s going on?
          Because I need to know how to make a sub-domain with xampp and I would like to see your videos again.

Thanks again, blessings

2. Jake Roberts
      November 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Working Great so far, Rune Xampp 1.7.7 and XP Pro with MYBB.

Thank You!

3. Yohannes
      November 22, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Hey, am really glad to send you ma confusion. let me reach you to my problem, i have no idea what Xampp means and what it work, so give me your . . . . as a beginner

thanks for all

4. Ruhul
      February 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM

hello admin.. i am nub in web dev. i have installed xampp 1.77 on my windows 2003.. but the apache won’t run. a lot people said that is because IIS running on my server by default.. i already check the IIS configuration on Add/Remove Program >> Windows Component.. there are no IIS installed. can you give me advise.. why xampp 1.77 apache service won’t run on my windows 2003 server..
      i’ll be glad if you mail… ^^ great thanks for help.

• February 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Hey Ruhul,
        I honestly don’t know for sure where your problem might be other than something else is occupying port 80, which will keep Apache from running. You’ll have to figure out what is occupying that port and you might also check your running “services” to see if IIS IS running.
        Now my best advise is to ditch Windows 2003 Server if you want to run Apache, because your headaches will continue on since Windows Server was meant to run with IIS and will conflict here and there. I learned that the hard way and haven’t touched Windows 2003 Server since. If it’s an older computer, Windows XP makes a pretty good OS for running a Windows Apache server, but my best choice was switching over to Linux and I haven’t looked back since.

Linux is VERY stable (in most cases) and far more secure than Windows, but it does have a bit of a learning curve at first. I started with Ubuntu Desktop Edition (I recommend 10.04 LTS while you can still get it) and once I got familiar with linux commands, I switched to Ubuntu Server and ran it completely via SSH (remote terminal) and didn’t have a monitor or anything hooked to it.

I hope that helps!

5. marc
      December 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM

hi can you make a video on how to install magento-1.6.1.0 on xampp 1.77. or 1.72 or anyone that you can get to work and you do a good job on your video thanks you

• February 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Hey Marc,
        Sorry for the late reply. I was very busy around the holidays and wasn’t able to get to making the tutorial any sooner, but I did get it done if it will still help. http://youtu.be/MTdOUWnwHug

Thanks for the request!

6. deepak
      November 8, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I was able to install it, but the designer window does not seem to work. Any idea how to fix it? I did not have problem with with the older version.

• myownserver
        November 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM

What are you referring to as the “designer window”?