• Installing Web Server Software – Apache/MySQL/PHP/phpMyAdmin

by  • December 17, 2012 • BitNami, EasyPHP, Getting Started, Tutorials, XAMPP • 6 Comments

Apache PHP MySQL banner

When starting your own web server, the first thing you’ll need to install (besides the Operating System) is your Server Software.  This usually consists of Apache HTTP Server, PHP, and MySQL Server along with EasyPHP for administration of your MySQL databases.

You basically have two options for installing these:

1. Use an automated installer such as XAMPP, WAMP, EasyPHP, or BitNami.
    2. Manually install each component separately.

Of course the easiest option is to use XAMPP, WAMP, EasyPHP, or BitNami and I recommend one of these to start with.

HOW TO INSTALL XAMPP

For instructions on how to install XAMPP for Windows, see my article How to Install XAMPP 1.8 On Windows 8.

INSTALL APACHE/MySQL/PHP/PHPMYADMIN SEPARATELY

If you desire to install Apache, MySQL, PHP, and phpMyAdmin manually, I must recommend trying XAMPP first.  The following tutorials will guide you through installing them individually, however it will take a bit more time and some automatic configurations XAMPP sets will need to be set manually.

1. How to Install Apache HTTP Server 2.4 for Windows
    2. How to Install PHP 5.4 for Windows
    3. How to Install MySQL Server 5.5
    4. How to Install phpMyAdmin 3.5

NEXT STEP – Choosing Your Web Applications

Your next step will be to choose what web applications you want to run on your server, such as a BlogForumPhoto Gallery, etc.

About

I'm a freelance PHP developer spending much of my time deep in WordPress theme and plugin development. My personal info can be found at http://amereservant.com .

6 Responses to Installing Web Server Software – Apache/MySQL/PHP/phpMyAdmin

1. Monica
      March 15, 2016 at 11:12 PM

Hi, dear friend, I often visit your website to see something new to learn from you. Actually I am looking to make a professional server for production ( not xampp, because is not for production ), and I don’t know what I need to make it. Maybe you can help me. Do you make this type of work as a freelance? Thanks in advance

• March 16, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Thank you for your support. I have done some freelance work, however I don’t feel that I’m qualified to help on making a professional level server. The main issue would be in terms of properly securing everything, then followed by proper maintenance, etc. and I’ve discovered this sort of thing tends to be better left to hosting providers. It’s easy to make a personal web server, but when you get into needing the extra security, configuring SSL, etc., it gets tricky fast.
        Feel free to contact me if you need help and I can do my best.

• Monica
          March 16, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Thanks for replying to this message. I really need a dedicated server, for a store and others projects, but the dedicated servers from the hosting providers are expensive for me, and I need a lot space. I put the store in xampp (localhost), and it’s working fine, but I know I need ssl, more security, I don’t know how to configure ssl, etc. What do you think about this? Will it be possible with xampp? Do you know any other way to get a better own server ? Thanks in advance for your help.
          Greetings

• March 16, 2016 at 11:22 PM

You might look into a shared hosting solution. I run an eCommerce business on a shared hosting server and haven’t had any issues with it. I also have a SSL certificate for it. I’m not sure how using a self-hosted site will work with an SSL since many ISPs use dynamic IP addresses. So your IP changing may cause issues with a SSL, but I’m not sure.
        XAMPP can be used. Just look for something like “hardening an XAMPP server” on ways to make it more secure. The main issue with XAMPP is it’s made to be more “developer friendly”, meaning many of the restrictions that should be in place for a public server aren’t turned on. But that can be fixed through changing the configuration file(s). I recently stumbled across a website hosted on a private server, http://www.nelectronics.dyndns.org/ . I can tell by the “.dyndns.org” part, which is the same service I use for URLs to my private server.
        I hope that helps.

• Monica
          March 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Hi, and thanks again for reply. A long time ago, I learned from you how to secure xampp; and now I found this video in youtube : xampp config hardening php and apache : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3dq-3hakQQ, What do you think about this ?
          I can tell to my internet provider to get an static IP, Right now I think I have everything secured on my server (maybe ?). I need to get an SSL, (I know) DNS, or maybe point my IP to my domain name. I need to know which restrictions should I turn on. I hope to achieve this. I am very grateful for your help,. Thank you very much again. Blessings

• Monica
          March 30, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Grettings
          Hi, again, Searching the web, I found this website that says has the correct server for production, and is is very important for me your opinion. http://www.devside.net Thanks a lot again

Mónica