When starting your own web server, the first thing you’ll need to install (besides the Operating System) is your Server Software. This usually consists of Apache HTTP Server, PHP, and MySQL Server along with EasyPHP for administration of your MySQL databases.
You basically have two options for installing these:
- Use an automated installer such as XAMPP, WAMP, EasyPHP, or BitNami.
- Manually install each component separately.
HOW TO INSTALL XAMPP
For instructions on how to install XAMPP for Windows, see my article How to Install XAMPP 1.8 On Windows 8.
INSTALL APACHE/MySQL/PHP/PHPMYADMIN SEPARATELY
If you desire to install Apache, MySQL, PHP, and phpMyAdmin manually, I must recommend trying XAMPP first. The following tutorials will guide you through installing them individually, however it will take a bit more time and some automatic configurations XAMPP sets will need to be set manually.
- How to Install Apache HTTP Server 2.4 for Windows
- How to Install PHP 5.4 for Windows
- How to Install MySQL Server 5.5
- How to Install phpMyAdmin 3.5
NEXT STEP – Choosing Your Web Applications
Your next step will be to choose what web applications you want to run on your server, such as a Blog, Forum, Photo Gallery, etc.